Comcast's Technology, Product & Experience organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building… amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards. Because our employees are our most valuable asset, we offer a flexible working environment to balance the need to work independently wherever you choose, with days that require collaboration at one of our offices. Our roles primarily reside inside or around one of our Tech Hubs (Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs, Denver, Austin, Silicon Valley, Washington DC/N. Virginia).
The VIPER team is an organization within Comcast's grander Technology Product and Experience organization (TPX) which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's Exceptional Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM Video Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player consuming experiences we control the end-to-end Video delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on stb's, connected tv, mobile and desktop products.
Do you love to write code? Are you passionate about software craftsmanship? Would you like to work on projects with tangible impact?
As a software engineer in the Time Shifted Video Engineering Group, you will help to shape the next generation cloud based, highly scalable cloud DVR service. You will develop the software to handle recordings and playbacks for millions of customers, to support Instant VOD, and develop tools to operate such large-scale systems at low cost.
Who will you work with?
Time Shifted Video software engineers collaborate with industry leaders from many fields: software architects, network engineers, big data scientists, player developers, content security specialists, and various streaming video technologists. A Time Shifted Video software engineer also engages with quality assurance engineers, technical operators, and product owners daily.
What are some exciting problems you'll be working on?
The core product this team is developing and managing is the next generation cloud DVR system (cDVR). We developed this system from the ground up. It is a large-scale system that will support millions of customers to record their favorite TV shows in the cloud, which enables them to watch their recordings from any device, at any time, and anywhere with an Internet connection. You will help to develop new features and improve existing software to scale this system to support real-time recording of 8 terabytes of video per second. You will also help to develop different tools to deploy and own the system at multiple locations and work with different teams to ensure the system runs efficiently. Your work will make a noticeable impact on the rapidly growing IP video industry and millions of customers' experience.
What You'll Do:
- Participate in discussions to improve team and software processes.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to identify requirements.
- Determine integration requirements.
- Design and develop new features.
- Participate in on-call rotations.
- Ensure software modules are reliable and simple for reuse.
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance team to test software.
- Assist in the rollout of software releases.
- Improve the existing software's performance and stability.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What You'll Need:
- BS in Computer Science and 4 - 6 years' experience, or equivalent
- Experience programming in Go (golang) or similar language (e.g. C/C , Java)
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Clear communication, both written and verbal
- Analyze and clearly articulate complex issues
- Great problem solving
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Build software that is easy to operate
- Work in an agile environment
Nice to Have:
- Experience developing concurrent systems
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Understanding of micro-service design principals
Technologies and Tools Used within this team:
- Go (Golang)
- Varnish, Memcached
- Elastic Search, Prometheus
- SingleStore (formerly known as MemSQL)
�� Docker, Kubernetes
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Be responsible for the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them flawless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be hardworking learners, users and advocates of our innovative technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new insights.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Pay Range: $108,335.77 - $162,503.65
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That's why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality - to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details