A BIT ABOUT US
Lever's vision is connecting human potential to meaningful work. Hiring is the most strategic challenge that every company faces, and Lever is one of the most recognized brands in talent acquisition software. As the innovation leader in our space, we are searching for great people to join us and push further
We are proud of the company we’ve built so far, but we are even more excited for what is yet to come. Our 5000+ customers include global leaders, startups that are disrupting industries, and businesses around the world. Lever has raised $123 million in funding, most recently a $50M Series D in November 2021.
With an overall gender ratio of 50:50 women and men, Lever is also fiercely committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. We have been certified as a “Great Place to Work”, along with “Best Company Outlook 2022,” and “Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022,” and the list keeps growing! Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage. For more information on our team culture, visit https://inside.lever.co/.
Lever's engineering team is growing rapidly and we're looking for another Engineering Manager to help scale the org. Our team is a thoughtful bunch that cares about delighting our customers by excelling at both code quality and design thinking. We value transparency and believe in fostering an inclusive, collaborative, helpful team environment. We're always looking for ways to do better for our customers, the product, and for the team: #continuous-improvement.
We’re looking for an engineering manager who is inspired to mentor, grow, and help teams succeed, especially when the team is still small and nimble. You’re an experienced people manager and adept project manager who can guide developers to perform at their best (without sacrificing sleep) and also remove any blockers that may appear.
As an engineering manager, you’ll lead a team of product developers as they evolve and enhance our core web app. You will build an energized and capable team by hiring top-notch talent and by engaging and mentoring current employees. You’ll make sure that projects are running without a hitch; and bridge the gap with Product & Design to make sure that what we are building is on target and prioritizing customer value. As we onboard bigger customers and continue to evolve our hiring product, you’ll guide your team to execute with efficiency, consistency, and, above all, empathy. That’s the Lever way.
Working as part of Engineering's leadership team, you will be one of Lever's key technical leaders. You will be joined by several other leaders within product engineering, infrastructure, IT, and architecture. You will also engage with product managers and business leaders to build alignment on technical direction and will provide thought leadership across the company.
THE SKILL SET
- 3+ years of software engineering management experience at top-tier cloud software companies with a track record of delivering software with high business impact
- Deep understanding of software architecture and development practices
- Solid understanding of the needs of enterprise customers, ideally in the realm of organization settings/configuration and access permissions
- Ability to lead, manage and coach software engineers providing both short-term direction and longer-term career development support
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL
- Investigate, solve and release a bug fix to production. In order to do this you will ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by the team.
- Complete Lever’s new-hire training week (a.k.a. Ramp Camp), and learn what it means to build a powerful recruiting platform.
- Introduce yourself and your management philosophy with a presentation to the engineering team.
- Meet with cross-functional peers around the company to learn how the organization functions.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Conduct weekly 1-1s with your direct reports. Mentor, coach, and train your reports on how to set quarterly goals, create plans to achieve them, and unblock any obstacles along the way.
- Run the weekly engineering all-hands team meeting in turn with our other engineering managers. Set the agenda, encourage participation from the team, and ensure the meeting runs efficiently. Solicit regular feedback to iterate on the content and format. Deliver your first engineering project. Help the project team to coordinate their work; collaborate effectively with other functions; identify, communicate and reduce risk; run effective meetings and periodic project retrospectives.
- Update and improve the Engineering onboarding process and documentation. Ensure that the next new hire onboarding is able to be completed faster and easier than your own.
- Keep our engineering candidate pipeline full by seeking out new candidates. Refer out of your network, send outbound to passive candidates, network at industry events, and nurture relationships through informal coffee chats and lunches.
- Source, interview, and close an engineering candidate. Work closely with the recruiting team and hiring panel to identify, vet and hire the best candidate for the team.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Analyze and diagnose areas of improvement to the hiring process. Monitor metrics like interview load and conversion rate in order to find opportunities for improvement. Measure the impact of changes on the quality, throughput, and consistency of signal in the hiring pipeline.
- Work with the engineering leadership team to align, establish and promote engineering-wide priorities, including new features, system refactoring, infrastructure investments, and tool building.
- Represent Lever externally by writing for our engineering blog, participating in volunteer events at local bootcamps like Hackbright and Telegraph Academy, and attending industry events.
- Assess your team’s skills and propose a plan to close any gaps that might impede your team’s progress
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Help set the standard for what engineering leadership looks like at Lever. Take us to the next level on topics like one-on-ones, goal setting, feedback and coaching, career planning, or continued education around soft skills and technical skills.
- Define career path opportunities for your engineering team so that all of your engineers can see paths for career development. Help your engineers identify the best direction for their own growth and then coach them along their chosen path.
- Develop new leaders by identifying leadership opportunities (leading projects, presenting to the team, conducting onboarding sessions, mentoring new hires) and matching them to appropriate members of the engineering team.
Is this role not an exact fit?
Sign up to stay in touch, we'll let you know when we have new positions on the team.
The Lever Story
Lever is a leading Talent Acquisition Suite that makes it easy for talent teams to reach their hiring goals and to connect companies with top talent. Lever is the only platform that provides all talent acquisition leaders with complete ATS and robust CRM capabilities in one product, LeverTRM. The LeverTRM features allow leaders to scale and grow their people pipeline, build authentic and long-lasting relationships, and source the right people to hire. Lever Analytics provides customized reports with data visualization, see offers completed and interview feedback, and more, to inform strategic decisions between hiring managers and executives alike.
Our platform also enables companies to hire with inclusivity in mind, helping eliminate any hiring bias. Lever supports the hiring needs of over 5,000 companies around the globe including the teams at Netflix, Spotify, Atlassian, KPMG, and Nielsen. For more information, visit https://www.lever.co.