Working as a coder at Hudson River Trading (HRT) means working on a small, highly productive, and efficient team. You may see "trading" in our name and assume you'll be relegated to some dark corner to code for the "business," but that could not be further from the truth!
At HRT, an automated trading firm based in NYC, the code you write is our business, so it is everyone's job to make sure… our developers have everything they need to do their jobs well.
HRT’s two main programming languages are C++ and Python. We use C++ for anything latency-sensitive that sits on the critical trading path, and we use Python for everything else. With Python, we monitor live trading, build our distributed computing platform, process large amounts of data, and write all of our internal tools.
As a Python Engineer at HRT, you’ll have an incredible opportunity to work in cutting-edge distributed compute environments at one of the top algorithmic trading companies in the world. You’ll collaborate with researchers and engineers to build high-impact products, help HRT tackle exciting new initiatives, and streamline every part of the trade cycle.
- Help us develop software that reaches every office and department at HRT while using the latest technologies and techniques in Python and software engineering to drive improvements to our systems, new and old.
- HRT has many high-impact areas where we use Python; here’s what you could work on as a Python Engineer here:
- Improving job orchestration and scheduling in our huge compute cluster.
- Building Python tooling and environments for all developers at HRT.
- Deploying, automating, and monitoring systems for global trade management and post-trade analysis.
- Building systems for hardware verification and tooling.
- Writing software that supports data ETL pipelines covering all types of inputs, from market data to image and text processing.
- You’re one of the top devs in your current organization, as measured by productivity, technical capability, and helpfulness to other devs.
- Experience deploying and maintaining applications. You’ve managed an application from the design phase through the production phase.
- Ability to look at code, figure out how it works, and identify how to make it better.
- You really like to work with people who challenge you and make you better at what you do.
- In your spare time you code, tinker, read, explore, break things, and have an insatiable curiosity for all things computer-related — you'll find like-minded people here.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Deep Python experience is required, daily use of most recent standards preferred
- Advanced knowledge of the Python ecosystem, including best practices
- Superior design, debugging, and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems (we use Linux), system/processor performance, and network communication
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you