Do you enjoy software development and working directly with customers? Do you enjoy coaching and growing other software engineers and engineering leaders? Are you excited about working across a broad spectrum of industries with a particular focus on going deep into emerging cloud technologies?
We’re looking for a Principal Engineering Manager who will be based in the US West Coast. In this role… you will be leading several engineering managers and the software engineers on their teams. teams with a particular focus on unblocking complex engineering scenarios in the areas of Data Analytics, Business Apps and Distributed Systems engineering. We are a global organization and so there will be opportunities to work with customers around the world and you should be comfortable with travel up to 25% of the time.
Our team, Commercial Software Engineering (CSE), works side by side with engineers from Microsoft’s most strategic customers on cutting-edge technologies. We help them to tackle their toughest technical problems both in the cloud and on the edge. We meet customers where they are, working with the languages, open-source frameworks and operating systems they use.
We welcome diversity of all kinds. Our team includes many cultures, educational backgrounds, life stages, identities, and technical skills, and we believe this contributes to our success and that of our customers. If you love writing quality code and learning new technologies, enjoy thinking about challenging engineering problems and, above all, if you’re able to lead others to do the same, then we’d love to hear from you.
This is in no way a complete list of what you will be doing day-to-day, but it should give you a framework that this role operates within.
- Lead several teams of software engineers - You will be leading and mentoring approximately 4 engineering leads and their respective teams of 5 to 6 engineers each. These teams are located in North America and Europe.
- Take pride in high-quality code & engineering practices - Working hands-on with your teams and our customers through design and implementation, ensuring great architectural decisions and engineering practices, and coding along the way. This role will allow you to remain hands-on in your software engineering practice.
- Sharing learnings, improving the machine – You and your teams will deliver learnings, patterns and code to unblock key technical challenges for customers, and work closely with Microsoft product engineering to influence the direction of Microsoft’s products and services.
- Foster trusted relationships with customers – You and your teams will work closely with the engineers from Microsoft’s largest global customers as we engineer solutions alongside them. You’ll need to ensure that your engineering teams build trust, credibility, and a positive working relationship with a range of stakeholders.
- Communicate confidently and effectively – You’ll be equally comfortable on the whiteboard for brainstorming/design sessions or a keyboard for written communication. You can confidently but considerately communicate your ideas to build consensus and drive clarity. You help others to build their communication abilities, both formal and informal.
- Be a constant learner and invest in your team’s development – You are excited to keep up with the latest technologies, patterns and practices to help grow the teams of software engineers you work with; both within your own organization and others across the group.
- 10+ years running production systems and/or software.
- 5+ years of experience as Technical Lead or Direct People Management (managing managers or managing software development teams).
- 4+ years of experience cloud computing and experience working with cloud architecture.
- A broad understanding of cloud computing and hands on experience with one or more the major cloud stacks: Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud etc…
- Prior experience managing other managers and their teams.
- Experience working with a variety of technologies, software stacks and languages. You should have both the ability and enthusiasm to learn and work in new technology areas.
- An ability to help others define and improve their software engineering practices. Experience working in an agile software development lifecycle will be valuable as will familiarity with modern DevOps approaches.
- Ability to travel, generally 25% but sometimes higher. We co-locate with customers for a working week at the right points during our customer engagements and get together for offsites with peers globally a couple of times each year.
- Strong written and spoken business English.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
For Colorado Only
- The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $171,200 and $256,800
- At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
- Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.