We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of… thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives. Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 300 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. You’ll join a Team whose experience hails from places such as Google, Uber, Amazon, Instacart, Capital One, and MasterCard with proven startup executives and venture capitalists.
Upside was named #2 on Deloitte's 2021 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding was raised in March 2022 and led by General Catalyst at a $1.5 billion valuation. Other investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Meet The Engineering Team
The Engineering team at Upside is a close-knit group of hardworking, fast-learning individuals that believe in our mission to help communities thrive. We believe in a data-driven approach to decision-making and an encouraging culture that emphasizes learning from our mistakes. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our tech stack, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that champions the psychological wellness of all of our teammates.
About The Job
The Senior Engineering Manager will lead the engineering efforts on our Consumer Apps teams, working closely with the Product teams as well as our internal business partners. Through these partnerships, this leader will establish the engineering roadmap and lead all aspects of its implementation to support our business needs. The role will also work across the Engineering organization alongside the API, Payments, and Multi Vertical teams to ensure that our solutions are aligned to company goals.
More About The Consumer Apps Team
- The Consumer Apps teams are responsible for building out features and functionality within our iOS and Android applications, and are key teams for supporting, maintaining, and testing our Consumer mobile applications.
- This team works closely with our API team to help expand our business across new feature sets, merchants, and to verticals beyond the ones you’ve come to know and love like Fuel and Grocery.
- We work directly with our partners across the organization to enable new business opportunities and see them from ideation through to production.
- The Consumer Apps teams support and continue to build upon our iOS and Android platforms and codebase. These teams are also tasked with quality control and assurance for these applications.
- Our goal is to support 10x growth across our user and transaction base over the next 24 months.
What You'll Do
- Lead the strategic and day-to-day engineering workload management of the team.
- Use Agile methodologies to manage and deliver the teams’ OKRs.
- Partner with our Product Managers to prioritize the work both tactically and strategically.
- Build (in collaboration with the product management team) the OKRs, the roadmaps for the team, and drive the plans through sprints.
- Shape the strategic direction of the organization.
- Work with other engineering leads on the design of the future state of our platform.
- Be responsible for the hiring, mentoring, career development, and organizational needs of your team.
What You Need
- 7-10 years experience building and leading high-impact teams.
- 5-7 years of programming experience in either Swift/Objective-C or Kotlin/Java.
- 5+ years of experience building out integrations with cloud based APIs (e.g. API Gateway in AWS).
- Proven experience designing and implementing high performance mobile platforms.
- Skilled in collecting, analyzing and writing requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work across multiple business and engineering organizations.
The Fine Print
- Upside employees are currently working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Afterward, our engineering teams are adopting a hybrid approach that can support full-time remote work while enabling in-person meetups as necessary.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated resource. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what make us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us