Hi, we're Swoogo, pioneers of the event management frontier. Need proof? We grew up supporting in-person events, but connected hundreds of thousands of people through digital events over the course of the pandemic. Now, with in-person and digital capabilities, we're poised to take on hybrid events, and we've emerged as a leader in a space that is being completely redefined and reinvented. A… highly focused, fully distributed event management software startup.
Just the Facts
This is a rare opportunity to help build a new product organization in its early days at a growth company. You’ll get to lead the team and help shape its future in a position that will have a high level of impact on our growing hybrid business.
Swoogo’s leadership culture strives to deliver with a focus through three lenses: helpful, human, and holistic. You’ll work together with your management peers in a collaborative, results-focused, and supportive environment. For people who love learning, geek out on evolving tech & growing people, and appreciate continual improvement, this isn’t just a job, it's professionally fulfilling journey!
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Making new products and technologies work has always fascinated you— from your first rocket at five (you still swear it would have worked if your parents had let you use more than mentos and Coke) to customizing your Myspace page to working on the release of your first “real” product, you live for the thrill of a good Eureka-moment.
Of course, at this point, you know that (to put it cheesily) teamwork makes the dream work; you’ve learned that pure technical leadership is important, but delivering objectives and coaching the work of a team leads to a much more satisfying result.
You’ve helped guide a team through shipping one or two commercial projects, and now your goal is to learn and get better at it. You’re ready to build new things, solve hard problems, and deliver awesome results for engaged customers. You’re excited about the prospect of collaborating with a young, hungry, insanely talented team and contributing to a growing (read: flying like a rocket) company.
Through all this, you know that working with top-tier developers is the best route to keeping your own technical skills fresh and up to date, and your goal is to stay as sharp as possible to continue passing that knowledge on. You’ll always be an engineer at heart, but you’re also a coach and a mentor; shared success is always the best prize. And, of course, you know that great teams, great friends, and great developers come from everywhere: you’re ready to be part of a fully remote org focused on nurturing the best talent, no matter where they are on the planet.
Deliver. You will be running highly technical, complex projects. You’ll be responsible for the agile project management and team process around delivery. You will also help technically guide the team as they design, architect, build, deploy, and operate the software and systems behind their initiatives. You can expect to work with strong partners from around the company as we build our common tooling, process, and best practices.
Build the team. You will also focus on growing the teams and people that will deliver the next phase of our roadmap. This includes hiring, career development, team development, and scaling our org.
We are a globally distributed company and product team. You know how important it is to communicate clearly, build strong connections with your team and the organization as a whole, and maintain a strong culture of writing things down and working asynchronously.
- You have 4+ years of engineering leadership experience as an engineering manager who previously was a senior software engineer of commercial SaaS software. Bonus points for having led teams through architectural change, decomposing monoliths, and the challenges of co-existing with legacy code.
- You are comfortable with diving into design discussions, architecture planning, and code reviews. Pairing or swarming with your engineers to help them learn and grow is second nature, you are ok with “rolling up your sleeves”.
- You enjoy delivering to customers, continually, and in small increments. You value high iteration speed, low cycle times, ease of use, a focus on the actual problems we're solving for our customers, good communication and collaboration, and improving the people around us.
- You enjoy helping others succeed. If you’re dependent on command and control, this is not the position for you.
- You really enjoy change. We’re a growing company, and that means things change a lot here. You will receive a lot of support, but you will see the job (and our organization!) evolve every six months, so you should flourish within this kind of environment. You have a passion for supporting engineers and championing their career growth. You are able to be a phenomenal partner to product and design.
- A degree (BS/BA) in a STEM field
- Experience with Go, PHP, React, React Native, AWS, Terraform, Docker, Postgres, Redis, Data Pipelines/Streaming Systems, Testing Frameworks, etc.
- Experience operating commercial software in AWS and utilizing SRE best practices
- Published talks or public speaking (and writing!) experience
What we bring to the table
- Competitive Pay
- Did we mention we are fully and globally remote? As long as you have WiFi, you’re good to go.
- Unlimited PTO plus company holidays
- $1,000 annual stipend for vacation travel
- Parental and Family Leave
- Health Insurance including vision and dental
- Super-positive team culture with a smart and passionate team
- When safe to do so, bi-annual all-hands off site. We’ve been to Newport, Lisbon, Atlanta, Utah, San Diego and Miami. Ideas for the next one?
- Technology / Home Office Stipend
- Stock Options
Our Hiring Process
Swoogo takes seriously our responsibility to care for the security and privacy of our customers’ and their users’ data. We observe and are certified in a variety of global compliance standards. In accordance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Swoogo does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Swoogo.
Swoogo is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.