At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your… future with us.
The Boeing Company is currently seeking a First Line Software Engineering Manager (Level K) to join the Virtual Warfare Center (VWC) within the Phantom Works Division of Boeing Defense, Space, & Security (BDS) business organization. This position will be located in Arlington, VA and will lead and grow a software modeling and simulation team developing simulations of the most sophisticated military aircraft and systems in the world.
At Boeing, our software managers work with our engineers to use their expertise to simulate capabilities of future systems for some amazing platforms.? Join us and you will have the unique opportunity to lead teams in the Virtual Warfare Center which support virtual, Operator-in-the-Loop (OITL) experimentation or operational analysis of systems in multiple domains (sea bed to space). The two primary simulations supporting VWC activities are AFSIM and VISE. AFSIM (Advanced Framework for Simulation, Integration and Modeling software) is a Government product provided by the Air Force Research Laboratory while VISE (Virtual Integrated Simulation Environment) was designed and built in house. Both sims have teams of software developers creating new or enhancing legacy models and tools to support customers objectives within mission level scenarios.
The selected candidate will balance evolving priorities from both internal partners and external customers within the fast-paced, dynamic VWC environment. The candidate will work closely with project managers and operations analysts to gather requirements to ensure the execution of custom built applications and integration of third party applications. The candidate will manage a geographically dispersed team of software engineers and software technicians that support - customer engagements in St. Louis, MO and Crystal City, VA; expansion and growth of DevSecOps capabilities; enhancements of visualizations in a God's eye viewer known as Advanced Visualization Framework (AVF); and creation of new high resolution, eye catching visuals for our Next Generation VWC project.
- Manages employees performing engineering and technical activities in the area of Software Engineering
- Develops and executes project and process plans, implements policies and procedures and sets operational goals
- Acquires resources for projects and processes, provides technical management of suppliers and leads process improvements
- Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with customers, stakeholders, peers, partners and direct reports
- Provides oversight and approval of technical approaches, products and processes
- Manages, develops and motivates employees
This position allows telecommuting. The selected candidate is required to work onsite 60%-80%.
Security Clearance and Export Control Requirements:
This position requires an active Secret U.S. Security Clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret and SCI post start. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Required Qualifications (Required Skills/ Experience):
- 3+ years of experience leading or managing software projects and/or teams
- 1+ years of experience with computer graphics and visualizations
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with Linux and Windows operating systems and real-time software architecture
- Experience leading diverse, geographically distributed teams
- An understanding of Agile development methodologies, Jira, and Git
- An understanding of Earned Value Management and the ability to forecast cost/schedule
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in a Technical Field (i.e. engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, or similar)
10% - 20% travel is expected because part of the team is located in St. Louis.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation will be offered for eligible internal candidates.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position would work 1st shift.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law