At Daniel Defense Only the Best Build the Best
Daniel Defense engineers and manufactures the world's finest weapon systems and accessories. We are intensely focused on providing top quality small arms solutions to our military and law enforcement communities as well as to civilians seeking premium rifles for home defense, hunting and sport shooting…
We are seeking a Manager for our Automation Engineering team, where you lead deployment of the most technologically advanced robotics and automation solutions for our growing Company. You will lead high impact, strategically important deployment projects for products and processes, bridging the gap between early stage product development teams and deployment at scale. You will mobilize and encourage diverse and talented teams of project managers, engineers, contractors, and expert installers, deploying newly developed product technology including both moving and fixed robotics systems like work cells, workstations, and autonomous robots. You will leverage business acumen, leadership experience, technical skills, and influence over authority, to promote alignment and deliver results, and introduce new technologies and processes enabling deployment at increased scale, quality, and productivity. You will be counted on to manage large-scale projects, potentially simultaneously, which require appropriate judgement and flexibility to make well thought out decisions. You will hire, educate and grow the engineers on your team, as well as adapt and drive well-proven design principles and industrial standards. This role requires a hands-on technical leader, with strong customer focus, and ability to hire and retain exceptional talent to support a well-established yet rapidly expanding team.
As the Manager of Engineering (Automation) you will be responsible for the functions outlined below:
- Responsible for demonstrating commitment to and leadership of environmental health and safety principles, policies and procedures.
- Define process and technical requirements for deploying new robotics products at large scale into Operations, and develop the roadmap from current practice to future state including concept validation, trial, to deployment at scale. Perform the same for existing robotics products, but with step change in deployment scalability and efficiency.
- Effectively advocate modularity and design for deployment features for internally developed robotics.
- Develop mechanisms for physical integration with building infrastructure and externally supplied automation equipment, considering standard and cost-effective construction and manufacturing tolerances.
- Research, design, and implement systems, processes, technologies and materials to improve error-proofing, quality, increase production speed, reduce downtime, and improve cost effectiveness[BH3] .
- Lead team(s) to deploy/evolve systems and/or product solutions that are exemplary in terms of robustness, stability, scalability, and cost-effectiveness. Apply technical knowledge to invent, evolve, improve, simplify, etc.[BH4]
- Communicate upward with senior leadership on status and escalations. Actively work to remove bottlenecks. Set targets for Scalability, Deployment Efficiency, and Robotics Ramp Rates to meet production commitments in operation.
- Establish objectives and managing multiple teams comprised of managers and individual contributors, even when product/deployment strategies may not yet be defined, the problem not known before starting.
- Skilled in triage and high technical judgment with ability to inform technology and business trade-offs, in order to deliver projects on time; compiles project schedule and recommend optimal resource usage.
- Manage entire life cycle of assigned capital projects including: developing project specifications, working with suppliers and purchasing to gather quotes/estimates, determining budget requirements, completing and submitting decision templates for management approval, kicking off project, completing design review, managing build, running-off new equipment, and validating new equipment once delivered.
- Participates in the company's efforts to continuously improve in Safety, 6S, Quality, Delivery and Productivity.
- Expected to be a contributor to the company standards on high integrity, safety, fair and equitable treatment and a positive work environment.
- Other responsibilities as deemed appropriate or necessary by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS degree in Robotics, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science Degree, or a combination of related experience, education and/or training to sufficiently and successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Certification in Project Management or Lean Six Sigma a plus.
- 10+ years' experience leading technical projects simultaneously in robotics engineering or other large-scale technical implementations.
- 10+ years' experience in robot and CNC machine integration.
- Extensive experience in Material moving and assembly automation a plus.
- Experience in evaluating, sourcing and installation of robotics with advanced manipulation, sensing, and machine learning capabilities.
- Experience with replacing prior generation technology, managing time windows for installation and commissioning to minimize the disruption to live operations.
- Experience bringing new automation equipment and processes on line, from initial startup to reaching targeted metrics such as rate, yield, uptime, deployment time, use of Lean/Six Sigma
- Delivered projects into environments like manufacturing, warehouses, etc.
- Experience managing effectively by your team's use of engineering software tools including 2D/3D CAD, simulation, and statistical data analysis.
- Proficiency using business/project management software like MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project, etc.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and ability to succinctly summarize key findings.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and work in accordance with our Permission to Play Values.
- Development and successful implementation of new manufacturing processes using advanced robotics, industrial controls, or measurement technologies that achieved step change in rate, quality, or productivity.
- Able to dive deeply into technical details (eg, key dependencies, design choices, operability, etc.) and drive constructive discussions with engineers.
- Ability to develop detailed project schedules incorporating multiple stakeholder needs, coordinating with other internal and external project execution teams on site.
- Application of Design for Manufacturing or equivalent best practices.
- Working knowledge of safety and ergonomics standards applicable in manufacturing or construction environments.
- Agility in developing manufacturing processes while to accommodate changes in product design.
- Track record building high performance engineering teams, including individual contributors and managers of project/functional teams.
- Uses significant expertise and high judgment to design the right team structure and mechanisms to meet long-term business goals.
- Hands on use of engineering tools including simulation and statistical data analysis in support of project.
- Must be able to lift and carry awkward items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting and bending throughout the normal work day.
- Must be able to work in a manufacturing environment, to include working in and around machinery, exposure to noise and chemicals, lights/lasers, etc.
- Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protection Equipment as required by your position and/or Company policy.
Daniel Defense is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer and promotes a "Drug-Free Workplace."
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by those assigned to the job. This list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this job. Responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of the employer and do not establish a contract of employment - Daniel Defense is an at-will employer.