ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the… European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
To reduce cost, maximise process efficiency, and drive high quality standards within ASR Group’s assets. A key objective of this position is to provide direct input into the long-term strategic vision of ASR Group. This is acheived by the management and execution of projects within the Research and Technology portfolio in a cross-functional manner through the rapid development of new processes, continuous improvement of existing processes, and knowledge transfer of industry best practices.
POSITION STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES AND KEY DELIVERABLES
- To evaluate, develop and implement integrated process and product solutions for any ASR Group operation, including product quality and consistency, cost, energy, capacity, safety, environmental, and efficient use of resources.
- To ensure that business approved projects are implemented at the commercial scale in a timely, cost effective and safe manner by using a combination of process experience and data-driven decision making.
- Thorough investigation of cutting edge and emerging technologies/methodologies to quickly evaluate technical and financial feasibility of them, aiding in ASR Group’s Industry 4.0 initiative.
- Seamless cross-functional networking (R&T, Quality, NPD, Refineries, Non-Refineries).
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and develop a process engineer that executes R&T projects and support cross-functional teams based at any ASR Group location. Primary focus will be on the USA assets, with travel to the ASR Group assets in the North Americas, and 1 or 2 visits per year to Europe may be required.
- Execution of operational excellence support projects by leveraging local GDP’s and Process Engineers to complete planned work.
- Transfer of knowledge on proposals for planned work, and results of executed work to be communicated to all levels by high standard reporting, presentations and other appropriate methods.
- Work proactively and flexibly with a number of teams within the ASR Group network (R&T, Quality, NPD, Refineries, Non-Refineries).
- Organization and execution of trial plans to effectively scale up benchtop processes to plant scale through robust data collection and analytics.
- Support joint venture initiatives through scope-appropriate engineering and operational execution.
- To provide process and chemical engineering expertise for internal consultancy.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Subject Matter Expertise in cane sugar process engineering with the ability to convert this knowledge into cost effective, technically feasible solutions through close collaboration in a team environment across multiple functions/disciplines.
- Ability to teach and communicate highly technical concepts and results to all levels and audiences.
- Ability to plan, balance resource allocation and budget projects within the Research and Technology portfolio.
- Robust understanding of statistical modelling/analysis and the ability to apply statistical concepts towards the planning, execution, and analysis of projects in the pipeline.
- The ability to develop, interpret and utilize mass and energy balances as well as process models to provide direction for ongoing projects in order to maximise effectiveness of team effort and provide fast-track but high quality completion of projects.
- Excellent communication and team working skills, ability to develop good working relationships at all levels.
- Creative, quick learner, highly numerate and computer literate.
- Self-starter that is able to work autonomously for long periods.
ESSENTIAL WORK EXPERIENCES
- Expert in the development, use and interpretation of process simulation.
- Practical on-the-job experience, with a focus in laboratory, pilot and full scale testing and operation.
- Process scale-up from lab to pilot to full scale processes, with a robust understanding of what can and cannot be made feasible at the commercial scale from a technical and financial feasibility.
- Demonstrable practical and design experience in a wide range of process engineering.
- Experience in developing Food-Grade/GMP processes.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor of Science required (MS preferred) in Mechanical, Chemical or Process Engineering
- 5 years of plant experience
- 2 years of research and development experience in process development or improvement
- Arabi, LA preferred or Baltimore, MD
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other category protected under federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need