The Vector team builds and maintains the open-source Vector project - a high-performance observability data pipeline. Vector powers Datadog's On-Prem Observability Pipelines product and is the backbone of many company's observability strategy, processing billions of logs, metrics, and traces per day.
The Vector Data Processing Team is looking for a Software Engineer to help deliver on its mission of becoming the fastest and safest tool for processing in-flight observability data (logs, metrics, and traces). Data processing capabilities like log parsing, mapping, filtering, aggregating, and sampling all fall under the responsibilities of the Processing Team. And because Vector sits at critical points within a company's infrastructure, it needs to perform processing tasks in a highly reliable and performant manner.
As a Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for the direction of Vector's processing domain, working on Vector's transforms and Vector's Remap Language . You should have strong experience with data processing at high volumes and understand the fundamentals of good domain-specific language design.
- Contribute to Vector's data processing roadmap and vision, ultimately leveling up Vector's processing capabilities.
- Improve Vector's Remap Language (VRL) and optimize for its safety and performance goals .
- Build the credibility of VRL by sharing research and development in the form of papers and blogs posts.
- Work on Vector's transforms expanding and improving all of Vector's processing capabilities, helping to keep VRL focused.
- You have at least 3 years of experience with systems-level programming and at least 1 year of experience working with Rust.
- You have experience developing, or using, one or more domain-specific languages.
- You generally understand observability data types, such as log and metrics.
- You are a proficient written communicator, with the ability to clearly articulate thoughts across a team.
- You take keen interest in programming language design and theory and have studied it in the past.
- You have worked on compilers, and type systems before.
- You've worked on extract-transform-load tools or stream processing systems.
Why You Should Apply:
- Generous and competitive global and US benefits
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan
- Continuous career development and pathing opportunities
- Product training to develop an in-depth understanding of our product and space
- Best in breed onboarding
- Internal mentor and buddy program cross-departmentally
- Friendly and inclusive workplace culture
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at Datadog ranges from $130,000 - $300,000, plus a competitive equity package, and may include variable compensation. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, parental planning, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, fitness reimbursements, and a discounted employee stock purchase plan.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers' entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram , LinkedIn and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog's Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice