Senior Data Scientist
Guardian is on a transformation journey to evolve into a modern, forward-thinking insurance company committed to enhancing the wellbeing of its customers and their families. We've recently onboarded a Chief Data & Analytics Officer (CDAO) to guide this transformation and lead the Enterprise Data and Analytic Office (EDAO). This role presents a distinctive opportunity to… collaborate with the CDAO and the Head of Data Science, actively contributing to Guardian’s ongoing evolution.
Guardian’s EDAO spearheads a culture of data insights across Guardian, facilitating the successful realization of our strategic initiatives. Our core activities encompass creating business value from our data and analytic products. Key responsibilities include data lifecycle management, insight development, and data product delivery. We are a team of data analysts, data product owners, data engineers, data scientists and most importantly, data business leaders. Our solutions and actions are critical to Guardian’s revenue growth, risk management and customer experience.
Guardian is seeking experienced individual contributor with a strong background in production ready AI/ML solutions. In this role as Senior Data Scientist, you'll be working in a team of Data Scientists led by Lead Data Scientist to develop advanced data science solutions, leveraging machine learning and artificial intelligence, to drive enterprise-wide innovation across various business lines and Guardian products. You'll collaborate with cross-functional teams of other Data Science, Data Engineering, Business groups. Successful candidates have strong technical foundation, excel in coding, detail oriented, and have passion for analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Lead use case/workstream with junior data scientists
- Support use case development that includes initial data exploration, project/sample design, reception and processing of data, performing analysis and modeling to creation of final report/presentation
- Data wrangling/data matching/ETL to explore a variety of data sources, gain data expertise, perform summary analyses and prepare modeling datasets
- Utilizing advanced statistical and AI/ML techniques to create high-performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and partner needs
- Identification of source data and data quality checks both in model/solution development and in production
- Packaging of model/solution and deployment in cooperation with Data Engineers and MLOps
- Implement new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis.
- Propose innovative ways to look at problems through using data mining and data visualization
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Present information using data visualization techniques; communicate results and ideas to key decision makers.
- Ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by performing regular data quality control, prepare and maintain reports, and troubleshoot data anomalies
��� Consistent accuracy and thoroughness in performing work assignments
- Attend industry conferences to stay current on industry trends, challenges, and potential market opportunities
- Contribute to standardization of Data Science tools, processes, and best practices
- You are passionate about cutting-edge technology and keen on applying new AI/ML algorithms and approaches.
- You are analytically driven, intellectually curious, and experienced leading the development and implementation of data and analytic solutions to solve challenging business problems.
- You enjoy collaborating with other data scientists to crack hard to solve problems with AI/ML and seeing it deployed in-market and generating value for Guardian.
- You enjoy collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team including data engineers, business analysts, software developers and functional business experts and business leaders.
- PhD with 2+ years of experience, Master's degree with 4+ years of experience in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Applied mathematics or related field
- 3+ years of hands-on ML modeling/development experience
- Solid understanding of data analysis and statistical modeling.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree, bagging/boosting artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Demonstrated track records in experimental design and executions
- Hands-on experience with data wrangling including fuzzy matching and regular expression, distributed computing and applying parallelism to ML solutions
- Strong programming skills in Python
- Solid background in algorithms and a range of ML models
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work and collaborating cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, and other disciplines at both the leadership and hands-on level
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities with superb attention to detail
- Proven leadership in providing technical leadership and mentoring to data scientists and strong management skills with ability to monitor/track performance for enterprise success
- Hybrid Remote, 2 days a week at our offices in New York, NY and 3 days a week remote.
$111,840.00 - $183,735.00
The salary range reflected above is a good faith estimate of base pay for the primary location of the position. The salary for this position ultimately will be determined based on the education, experience, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate. In addition to salary, this role may also be eligible for annual, sales, or other incentive compensation.
At Guardian, you’ll have the support and flexibility to achieve your professional and personal goals. Through skill-building, leadership development and philanthropic opportunities, we provide opportunities to build communities and grow your career, surrounded by diverse colleagues with high ethical standards.
As part of Guardian’s Purpose – to inspire well-being – we are committed to offering contemporary, supportive, flexible, and inclusive benefits and resources to our colleagues.
- Choice of [high deductible/copay] medical plans* with prescription drugs, including coverage for fertility and transgender inclusive benefits
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- Health care accounts – flexible spending, health reimbursement, and health savings accounts
- Critical illness insurance
Life and Disability Insurance
- Company-paid Life and Disability insurance plus voluntary supplemental coverage
- Accident insurance
Retirement and Financial
- 401(k) retirement plan with a company match, plus an annual age/service-based Company contribution and an annual profit-sharing contribution, if applicable
- Complimentary 1:1 financial guidance with a licensed Fidelity representative
Time Off and Remote Work
- Flexible work arrangements (part in-person/part remote)
- Unlimited paid time off for most roles plus time off for volunteering, jury duty, voting, and bereavement
- Personal holidays for colleagues to use in recognition of religious, cultural, or civic days
- Paid parental leave and paid family and medical leave policies
Emotional Well-being and Work-Life
- Emotional well-being, mental health, and work/life resources powered by Spring Health
- Wellness programs, including fitness program and equipment reimbursement
- Child, adult, and elder back-up care support through Bright Horizons
- Adoption assistance
- College planning
- Tuition reimbursement
- Student loan assistance
- Commuter benefits in select metropolitan areas
Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (J.E.D.I.)
- Employee Resource Groups that advocate for inclusion and diversity
- J.E.D.I. certification and training programs
- Matching gifts/volunteering
Benefits apply to full-time eligible employees. Interns are not eligible for most Company benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Guardian is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact View email address on jobs.institutedata.com