How you move is why we’re here. ®Now more than ever…
Get back to what you need and love to do.
The possibilities are endless…
Now more than ever, our guiding principles are helping us in our search for exceptional talent - candidates who align with our unique workplace culture and who want to maximize
the abundant opportunities for growth and success.
If this describes you then let’s talk!
HSS is consistently among the top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report. As a recipient of the Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence, HSS was the first hospital in New York City to receive the distinguished designation. Whether you are early in your career or an expert in your field, you will find HSS an innovative, supportive and inclusive environment.
Working with colleagues who love what they do and are deeply committed to our Mission, you too can be part of our transformation across the enterprise
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), leader in musculoskeletal health and ranked #1 in orthopedics worldwide by Newsweek and nationwide by U.S News & World Report, is seeking a Data Scientist to join the Center for Analytics, Modeling, & Performance (CAMP). CAMP’s core team aligns experts in medicine, engineering, data science, analytics, and operations research to pioneer new and innovative care delivery models, power our digital care platforms, and incorporate new technologies into care delivery.
This position is a unique opportunity to join CAMP’s Orthopedic Data Innovation Lab (ODIL), a newly launched research and care delivery initiative supported in part by Schmidt Futures. ODIL is an applied research lab for interdisciplinary collaboration and solution design, the Lab will focus on advanced applications of analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence within the field of musculoskeletal health. The knowledge and novel technology solutions developed in the Lab will help improve access to high quality musculoskeletal care across the globe with the goal of keeping humans moving healthier and longer.
We are seeking a data scientist with expertise in natural language processing (NLP) to help bring our vision into reality. As a member of the CAMP and ODIL teams, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the development of the largest curated musculoskeletal data ecosystem in the world and collaborate with leading experts in medicine, data science, and technology. Together, we will unlock the potential of our vast data resources to improve healthcare access, monitor musculoskeletal health, study movement, and prevent disease on a global scale. We are seeking highly motivated and intellectually curious individuals to join our interdisciplinary team of data scientists and engineers at the forefront of healthcare innovation. In this pivotal role, you will have the opportunity to apply your expertise to advance applications within the field of musculoskeletal health, working closely with academic institutions, healthcare providers, and applied researchers from complementary disciplines. Your contributions will have a direct impact on the development of novel technology solutions that promote healthier and longer human movement, transforming care delivery and improving the quality of life for millions of patients worldwide.
- Lead data science projects focused on the application of statistical modeling techniques and methods. Design, prototype, and test novel clinical and digital interventions and models, leveraging machine learning (focused on natural language processing and large language models) to predict patient outcomes relevant to musculoskeletal, orthopedic, and rheumatological health.
- Leverage advanced computer programming and large datasets toward those ends, including our structured electronic medical records, unstructured clinical notes, and various imaging modalities and reports, focused on developing domain expertise in medicine and musculoskeletal health.
- Work and collaborate with clinical teams, physicians, and operational leaders to develop strategies and advanced analytics products to solve real-world problems facing doctors and patients, toward optimizing care, minimizing surgical complications, and managing musculoskeletal disease as efficiently as possible while maintaining the best outcomes for patients.
- Work with data engineers to deploy designed and well-tested ML models into clinical practice, helping design appropriate frameworks to test and monitor ongoing model performance (e.g., model drift, data drift) and evaluate true downstream impact on clinical care and efficiency (beyond predictive performance).
- Provide methodological, statistical, design, and analytical guidance for new and ongoing projects; facilitate new data collection as appropriate (from novel surveys or new technologies); help assess and measure hospital and provider performance.
- Master’s or higher in applied math, computer science, statistics, data science, engineering, or related field required. PhD preferred.
- Minimum 2 years working on multiple projects involving large data sets, including training, testing, and deploying machine learning algorithms using AWS, and specific experience with natural language processing and modern large language models (incorporating understanding of architecture differences and their relative limitations). Prior experience translating data findings and data science concepts for lay audiences, including the production of presentations for senior-level audiences (excellent verbal and written communication skills) also required.
- Advanced understanding of data science and statistical concepts, computer programming, and their applications to real-world data required. Specifically, strong programming proficiency (e.g., Python, TensorFlow, PyTorch, R, Spark, SQL). Prior experience with code repositories such as git or equivalent also required.
- Ability to challenge existing ideas and develop and champion new ones that add value to the organization. Ability to analyze problems, issues and opportunities systematically and logically to make decisions that support the mission, vision, values and goals of the organization.
- Bias towards action and collaboration: the ability to fully own and manage multiple workstreams, eagerly roll up sleeves to collaborate with others and fill in and contribute where there are gaps.
- Experience with AWS services such as SageMaker Studio, Comprehend Medical, Textract, Polly, Rekognition, etc or equivalent services with GCP, OpenAI, Microsoft, etc. We appreciate this space is rapidly evolving and any list of such services becomes out of date quickly.
- Experience with projects related to healthcare or orthopedics (could include delivery systems, managed care organizations, accreditation organizations, health insurance companies, or firms that consult in the healthcare sphere)
Lifestyle and Work Environment:
HSS is the premier institute for musculoskeletal care and aspires for excellence in all endeavors. With a foundational value of diversity, we are committed to an environment of respect, equitable treatment, and opportunity for our patients, employees, and communities. Now more than ever, our guiding principles are helping us in our search for exceptional talent – candidates who align with our unique workplace culture and who want to maximize the abundant opportunities for growth and success. Whether you are early in your career or an expert in your field, you will find HSS an innovative, supportive, and inclusive environment. Working with colleagues who love what they do and are deeply committed to our mission – to help people get back to what they need and love to do better than any other place in the world – you too can be part of our transformation. Flexible work environment including opportunity to work from home within a hybrid work scheme. Excellent health and other benefits including 5 weeks of paid time off per year.