The primary mission of Johnson Controls Navy Systems is to supply Chilled Water Air Conditioning Plants, Refrigeration Systems and associated equipment to the US Navy and US Coast Guard. Johnson Controls Navy Systems is a part of the Johnson Controls Federal Systems business. Our robust, high reliability products are designed, manufactured and tested in York, PA to military and other stringent… customer specifications. Most of our designs are custom engineered for the specific application.
This position is for an Engineering Manager working in the Johnson Controls Navy Systems engineering team. The Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a group of electrical engineers/technicians and controls engineers/technicians to design, develop, test, qualify and troubleshoot chilled water air conditioning units and refrigeration units for the US Navy and US Coast Guard. Our Engineering Managers are working managers that frequently perform challenging technical tasks in parallel with managing personnel.
Location: York, PA
Salary Range: $130,000 - $170,000
Bonus Eligible: Yes
Benefits: Eligible on first day of employment
Travel Required: No travel required
- Manage the Johnson Controls Navy Systems (JCNS) Electrical and Controls Team, which currently consists of six (6) engineers, three (3) technicians and one (1) consultant, by providing technical and programmatic direction to the team, removing obstacles preventing progress, providing information/tools to accomplish tasks, managing multiple conflicting priorities and responding to emergent issues in a fast-paced environment. Work with the JCFS Information Technology (IT) team and the JCNS security team to facilitate chiller software development on JCNS secured networks.
- Manage preparing proposals. Lead the team to examine equipment specifications and resolve resultant issues so that our proposals are specification compliant. Create program task lists, compile team estimates and expenses, identify external costs, and prepare product specifications used to obtain supplier quotations and manage supplier development efforts.
- Work with the program managers to establish and meet program milestones by holding periodic meetings and tracking action items to identify and resolve issues.
- Manage multiple JCNS development programs. Develop chiller control algorithms leveraging off of past Navy successes and commercial advancements. Ensure control algorithms are properly implemented in the code for our products. Support chiller qualification testing, including electronic hardware, electromagnetic interference (EMI), shock, vibration and communication tests. Maintain software configuration control, including information assurance. Update the JCNS Software Development Process to conform to contractual requirements and advances in technology. Ensure our Software Development Process satisfies customer requirements.
- Manage JCNS production and test block support activities. Work with JCNS purchasing and suppliers to meet JCNS specification requirements and delivery schedules. Support electrical check-outs of new construction units and units under test on a priority basis. Introduce new control system designs (prototype chillers) to the manufacturing group. Work with supply chain to continually monitor and address material obsolescence issues by acting quickly to propose alternate, cost-effective options. Develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with our key suppliers.
- Establish and maintain an excellent customer working relationship. Maintain the JCNS engineering teams “trusted advisor” status with all of our customers. Represent JCNS to customers at formal program review meetings, during weekly customer status meetings, and during unstructured events.
- Initiate continuous improvement activities to create high quality and efficient processes. Implement new planning, execution and tracking methods to increase performance and process excellence. Increase the understanding and use of lessons learned.
- Manage technical support to the JCNS field service organizations to address issues in the fleet and in shipyards on a priority basis.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. With eight (8) to ten (10) years of relevant work experience is desired.
- Leader with exceptional communication skills, good organization, and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and motivate people to perform at high levels.
- Experience recruiting employees; assigning, directing, and evaluating their work; and overseeing the development and maintenance of staff competence is a plus
- Experience performing administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, and actively engaging in personnel development and performance management.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and contracts, and work with the contracts team to positively influence the negotiation of research contracts.
- Willingness to work in a team-oriented environment that empowers and inspires individual contributors to work to their full potential is mandatory.
- Experience with managing technical employees is required. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of relevant work experience managing a team of technical employees.
- Willing to travel within the United States to resolve equipment operational problems onboard US Navy ships or to support first article testing by third party testing laboratories. Extent of travel is estimated at less than 5%.
- U.S. citizen, that is eligible to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance. Willing to disclose the detailed personal history information necessary to apply for this clearance.
- Technical knowledge of microprocessor-based control system and programmable logic controller hardware designs, preferably with military approved systems.
- Experience with control system coding and troubleshooting, preferably on different hardware platforms. Knowledge of information assurance (cyber security) is a plus.
- Experience with induction motors, permanent magnet motors, variable speed drives, magnetic bearing controllers and/or motor controllers is a plus.
- Experience in solving performance / operational issues to improve development efficiency encompassing cost, schedule, and technical elements of product development is a plus
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.
Division: JCFS (Johnson Controls Federal Systems)
About the Company:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win everywhere, every day and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through our strategic focus on buildings.
10,000 employees or more