Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our outstanding skills, talents and experiences to craft and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest… engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to envision the impossible, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus—if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Looking for a career challenge that contributes to one of our Nation’s most critical missions? Interested in managing a complex and dynamic system? If you answered yes to these questions, then we would like you to consider a role as a Systems Engineering Manager on the Flight Operations Support (FOS) engineering team in Sunnyvale. In this role, you will lead a team of 20+ engineers responsible for maintaining the state of health of the Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) GEO and HEO constellations, while growing the team to perform similar functions for the future Next Generation GEO (NGG) constellation.
Responsibilities include proactive management of on-orbit SBIRS assets by actively engaging in anomaly resolution, trending analysis, project engineering, workload prioritization, change integration, subsystem management, optimization and representing Flight Ops Support Team to both customers and visitors. Must be willing to support mission needs when necessary, inclusive of being available 24x7. This leadership position also requires occasional CONUS travel.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the Program's SBIRS Factory Flight Operations Support (FOS) engineering efforts to include technical direction, planning, and staffing
- Work collaboratively with other FOS managers to coordinate shared resources to accomplish overall program goals.
- Capitalize on your technical background and functional leadership experience to help deliver on all programs that FOS supports.
- Provide Cost Account Manager (CAM) inputs and manage to cost targets and budget allocations
- Support proposals and follow-on contract development.
- Responsible for coordinating subordinate employee recruitment, selection, training, performance assessment, work assignments, salary, and recognition/disciplinary actions.
- Participate in setting priorities and managing schedules.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that inspires differences and big-picture thinking.
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
- 4-year technical degree or equivalent experience/combined education
- 7 years minimum of Satellite operations experience in Satellite or Systems Conops Development, Command Product Development, ATLO, Systems Test, Project Engineering, Systems/Subsystems Engineering or on-shift engineering positions
- Willingness to stand recall alternating weeks and aperiodic shift work for rehearsals, launch and engineering activities
- DOD Security clearance level required to start and ability to obtain a TS/SCI
- Experience with conducting Factory sustainment activities for on-orbit assets – trending, analysis, and anomaly resolution.
- 3 years in a lead or management role
- Familiarity managing and integration of Systems and Subsystems engineering staff
- Familiarity with command products and procedures required to launch and operate satellite systems
- Experience participating in launch readiness activities, experience participating in launch and early orbit test campaigns
- Experience with staffing selection and performance assessments, consistent with HR and established processes.
- Experience with establishing and communicating team expectations, goals, and objectives
- Experience on-ramping Digital Transformation upgrades and championing process improvements
- Leadership experience developing engineering skillsets, maintaining critical skills, knowledge retention, cultivating a team environment and motivating the workforce
- Excellent communication skills to coordinate and resolve issues across programs that affect customer, subcontracts, operations issues, software and test bed projects, identify risks and appropriate mitigation plans
- Collaborate with government and customer representatives in support of critical space-based operations and distributed multi-element deliveries and activities
- Lead and perform technical planning, system integration, validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems
- Experience interacting with multiple engineering disciplines with Hardware/Software integration preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Cost Account Management (CAM) work, Earned Value Management (EVM) and program planning
Security Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.
Clearance Level: Secret
Other Important Information You Should Know
Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.
Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.
Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.
Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday off
The annual base salary range for this position in California or New York City is $135,800 - $256,000. Please note that the salary information is a general guideline only. Lockheed Martin considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/ training, key skills as well as market and business considerations when extending an offer.
Benefits offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) match, Flexible Spending Accounts, EAP, Education Assistance, Parental Leave, Paid time off, and Holidays.
This position is incentive plan eligible.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
At Lockheed Martin, we use our passion for purposeful innovation to help keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges. Our people are some of the greatest minds in the industry and truly make Lockheed Martin a great place to work.
With our employees as our priority, we provide diverse career opportunities designed to propel, develop, and boost agility. Our flexible schedules, competitive pay, and comprehensive benefits enable our employees to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work. We place an emphasis on empowering our employees by fostering an inclusive environment built upon integrity and corporate responsibility.
If this sounds like a culture you connect with, you’re invited to apply for this role. Or, if you are unsure whether your experience aligns with the requirements of this position, we encourage you to search on Lockheed Martin Jobs, and apply for roles that align with your qualifications.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Management