Monad Labs is creating the foundation for a new world of powerful decentralized applications. We’ve developed the first parallel EVM executor, and have paired it with significant innovations on consensus, pipelining, and storage to build the Monad blockchain, an ultra-performant EVM-equivalent blockchain supporting 10,000 TPS while remaining highly decentralized.
Founded by Jump Trading alums… our team solves challenging problems in distributed systems engineering and low-latency optimization, authoring software innovations that enable a new, high-performance decentralized system that is backward-compatible with existing EVM apps and Ethereum infrastructure. We are backed by notable leaders in the crypto space, including Dragonfly, Placeholder, and others.
Our mission is to enable a new universe of decentralized apps—use cases and user flows that are currently impossible—by drastically reducing EVM computation costs. Ultimately, our work will unleash the power of decentralization to make the world more efficient and fair.
We are looking for software engineer new graduates with strong experience in both low-level C/C++ programming and smart contract development in Solidity.
Our team extends the EVM to enable additional functionality while preserving backward compatibility. Your blend of skills make you ideally suited to contribute to the effort. You will leverage your knowledge of high-performance C++ to design and build new VM features, and then use your smart contract development experience to implement core infrastructure that directly leverages the new functionality.
You'll be given a lot of responsibility, and you’ll work on high-impact problems that are core to our team’s mission. You will learn a lot by being part of a small, hyper-focused team with high engineering standards and coding practices. We think that you'll find the work very challenging and rewarding.
Note: We use email for communications, please check your Spam filter for @monad.xyz or @greenhouse-mail.io domains.
Who you are
You're graduating before June 2023 with a BS, masters, or doctorate (or equivalent) in computer science or a related field.
- You have significant experience developing novel production-grade smart contract code in Solidity. (Please do not apply if you haven’t had significant experience in Solidity.)
- You're fluent in C++ with excellent knowledge of lower-level details like memory management and multithreading
- You’ve taken an operating systems class
- You have extensive knowledge of smart contract security and common pitfalls (e.g. you understand the cause of all major historical reentrancy attacks and other vulnerabilities)
- You have experience writing extensive unit and integration tests
- You're resourceful and able to work fairly independently
- You value communication and collaboration
- You’re excited about working in a startup, where you’ll wear many hats and be given significant responsibilities
- You’re able to work in person in NYC, i.e. you have US work authorization or can obtain it via F-1 visa.
- You’re experienced with kernel development
- You’ve contributed to open source projects
What you’ll be doing
- You’ll collaborate with the rest of the team to develop features of the Monad VM, aka EVM++
- You’ll contribute to design and development of major projects with a smart contract component such as bridges, order books, staking, and NFT minting services. This will draw on your knowledge of existing tools as well as leveraging new primitives in Monad’s VM.
- You’ll develop rigorous unit and integration tests, and thoroughly consider potential attack vectors
- You’ll contribute to architectural decisions that maximize security and minimize trust requirements
- You'll contributing to tools that help both our team and end users be more productive
- You'll use our tech stack: C++, go, clang, LLVM, gdb, perf, unix, git
Why work with us
Working at Monad Labs means doing challenging work on a high-impact problem with exceptional teammates.
Here are some of the people you’ll work with:
- James, performance engineering expert and system architect; previously designed and built ultra-low-latency systems for a top high-frequency trading team at Jump Trading;
- Ariq, expert at low-level firmware and software programming; previously a senior engineer at Arista Networks, where he served as lead maintainer on multiple linux kernel networking drivers for Arista EOS devices;
- Aashish, expert systems designer and hacker, previously the first engineer at Pattern Research, a leading crypto HFT firm, where he designed and built the entire trading stack from scratch
Why work with us?
- You’ll quickly develop your skills as a professional software engineer through meaningful and challenging responsibilities, combined with excellent mentorship from our team
- You’ll work on extremely challenging problems with massive potential impact
- You’ll work with and learn from a small, exceptional team
- You’ll receive a competitive compensation package with a competitive base salary and equity
- You’ll shape the culture as an early employee and make impactful contributions from day one
- You’ll be part of a flat, results-driven organization
- Your work will be deeply impactful, enabling much cheaper and more efficient decentralized computation and ultimately paving the way for new dapps that improve many people’s lives.
Salary and benefits
Minimum full-time salary of $150,000 - $200,000. (**This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary; a final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location.)
Monad Labs’ benefits include unlimited and encouraged paid time off; 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage; home office equipment stipend; monthly wellness/fitness stipend; and 11 company-observed holidays.
This is an NYC-based role. The majority of our team is in NYC and works together a few days a week.
We are able to sponsor F1/H1B visas; please let us know if you’ll require this