OneMain Financial (OMF) is seeking a Vice President, Senior Managing Director (SMD) of Data Engineering and Operations to lead our ongoing technology transformation. The SMD is responsible for establishing the strategy for a data-driven organization and overseeing the build and operation of capabilities necessary for full lifecycle data management, governance, provisioning, modeling… science, and analytics. The SMD is the leading voice for enabling data-driven decisioning deeply into OMF products and business processes. The SMD leads a team of data subject matter experts, covering the range of data-centric domains, building, governing, and operating data platforms, as well as providing embedded data professionals in product delivery teams. With OMF having both on-premise and cloud-based operations, the SMD balances a strategy which leverages both while driving toward a cloud-first strategy, performing legacy data transformation where necessary.
This role is located in our downtown Baltimore office, you are expected to be in the office a minimum of two days a week. Relocation to the Baltimore is available.
Responsibilities And Duties
- Establish the Data Engineering Organization (DEO) and its objectives and key results (OKRs). Work with senior leadership to align DEO OKRs to business roadmaps and corresponding OKRs. Oversee the DEO business cases and manage the budget.
- The DEO spans both operational and analytical domains: data science and analytics, data engineering, and operational data management. Specifically, data management will include data architecture, governance and management, modeling, quality, services, delivery, and access.
- Define the execution strategy for the overall DEO. Work closely with executive OMF leadership to establish DEO services and capabilities which drive data-centric and data-driven decisioning for OMF and its customers.
- Lead as the executive subject matter expert for all data-centric domains. Set the bar for data-driven capabilities, maturing a data management and data science organization through continuous innovation.
- Work with executive leadership to achieve OMF business objectives through data. Drive data’s impact on OMF core product capabilities and offerings, striving for a world-class customer experience, and advancing marketing’s effectiveness and increasing customer acquisition.
- Support core OMF horizontal capabilities such as channel communication and other shared services, cloud infrastructure, continuous integration / delivery, internal and third-party integration, security / data privacy and compliance.
- Accountable for the performance of the DEO staff, platforms, and domains.
- Define, communicate, and improve key metrics which focus on and demonstrate advancement against the DEO OKRs.
- Define, socialize, and champion data-centric capabilities that advance decisioning, analytics, and ultimately product offerings for the OMF customers.
- Within the DEO, leverage current trends in open source and commercial cloud-native services to best “future-proof” implementations. Foster and drive a culture of improvement and innovation, focused maturing data management and science application of OMF customer products.
- Across product teams, foster adoption of OMF data management and science best practices, as they mature and demonstrate value, driving a culture of innovation, adoption, and collaboration across the product organization.
- Represent OMF within the financial services and technology industries to stay connected to advances and to promote OMF's capabilities and opportunities.
Qualifications And Experience
- Experience in data-driven software product delivery organizations, which both deliver and run customer-facing products in operations, with demonstrated progressive leadership growth in all aspects of data.
- 10+ years leading a data-centric organization in Financial Services or other heavily regulated industry information technology organization.
- 5+ years leading enterprise-level technology strategy
- 15+ years with deep hands-on development experience. Must have many of the following: database development, data munging, and data modeling skill for operational and analytical systems, NoSQL, SQL. Other programming experience desired.
- 15+ years leading small, high-performing technical assets which drive business and technology transformation.
- 10+ years working with SCRUM/Agile/iterative methods.
- 10+ years leading development, operations, and governance of ground-up data platforms, services, and analytics-based systems. Full lifecycle data management and a demonstrated maturing of capabilities is expected.
- 10+ years of experience leading employee/contractor blended organizations.
- 10+ years of experience selecting and negotiating 3rd party products and services.
- 5+ years of experience leading an on-prem to cloud-based technology organization transformation of all data capabilities.
- 5+ years of AWS experience in a mature, leading cloud-first organization.
- Bachelor's Degree computer science, hard sciences, or engineering is preferred, Master's degree is desirable or equivalent professional experience for either degree
- At least two prior experiences building, operating, and maturing data organizations are highly desirable.
- Significant experience building and operating cloud-based Big Data, analytic, and decisioning platforms.
- Must have a network of professionals and organizational associations that can be leveraged for hiring key assets for advancing data capabilities, as well as an extensive track record defining job descriptions, recruiting, and hiring demonstrated talent.
- Experience delivering strategic presentations to C-suite and board leadership, as well as public speaking experience as a data and technology domain leader.
- Experience designing, building, and operating data stores and capabilities that are both enterprise on-prem-to-cloud migration and cloud-native.
- Supported organizations with multiple lines of business, with systems and products that have both vertical and cross-cutting business aspects.
- Extensive knowledge and demonstrated track record working with operations, infrastructure, and cyber organizations and teams, in operating and governing data platforms and interfaces.
Who We Are
OneMain Financial (NYSE: OMF) is the leader in offering nonprime customers responsible access to credit and is dedicated to improving the financial well-being of hardworking Americans. Since 1912, we’ve looked beyond credit scores to help people get the money they need today and reach their goals for tomorrow. Our growing suite of personal loans, credit cards and other products help people borrow better and work toward a brighter future.
Driven collaborators and innovators, our team thrives on transformative digital thinking, customer-first energy and flexible work arrangements that grow lives, careers and our company. At every level, we’re committed to an inclusive culture, career development and impacting the communities where we live and work. Getting people to a better place has made us a better company for over a century. There’s never been a better time to shine with OneMain.
That’s why we’ve packed our comprehensive benefits package for full- and some part-timers with
Because team members at their best means OneMain at our best, we provide opportunities and benefits that make their health and careers a priority.
- Health and wellbeing options for team members and their dependents
- Up to 4% matching 401(k)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (10% share discount)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Continuing education
- Bonus eligible
- Paid time off (15 days’ vacation per year, plus 2 personal days, prorated based on start date)
- Paid holidays (7 days per year, based on start date)
- Paid volunteer time (3 days per year, prorated based on start date)
- And more