PNNL’s National Security Directorate tackles grand challenges for the nation through advanced science and technology in a people-focused environment. We are adventurous and collaborative innovators who strive to lead the way in interdisciplinary and data-driven science, technology, engineering, and policy…
We are conducting a national search for a Director to lead our Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics Division. The AI and Data Analytics Division includes over 400 staff working in data science and applied math, advanced analytic architectures, software engineering, and human-centered computing. The Division Director is an executive leader who combines strategic planning, people-oriented leadership, mission understanding, and technical expertise to guide the growth and impact of our data science capability.
The Division Director leads and develops a management team, inspires staff and programs to achieve strategic goals, and cultivates a spirit of courageous discovery and inclusiveness within the Division’s workforce.
This position may be based in either Richland WA or Seattle WA.
The AI and Data Analytics Division Director is a member of the National Security Directorate senior leadership team, reporting to the Associate Laboratory Director for National Security. The Division Director influences organizational strategy and institutional efforts at the directorate and laboratory level, collaborating across the entire laboratory to envision and deliver new capabilities. The position partners extensively with peer leaders in the Program Development Office to support business development; with the Program Management Offices to support project execution; and across the Laboratory to advance our science, energy, and security missions. The Division Director oversees 5-7 Group Leaders who manage individual technical departments, which include staff located at PNNL facilities in Richland and Seattle WA, and remote staff distributed around the US.
The AI and Data Analytics Division develops and applies cutting-edge computational tools and methods. The division’s work embraces multidisciplinary collaborations between data scientists and domain scientists, and covers the full data analytics lifecycle from data acquisition and management to analysis and decision support. Expertise in the division spans research, engineering, and operational support.
Key technical signatures for this division include:
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence: Advancing both the theoretical understanding and practical application of AI including scalability, assurance, and robustness of AI-enabled systems.
- Computational Mathematics and Statistics: Developing novel computational modeling and data analysis methodologies using foundational capabilities in applied math and statistics to understand, predict and control complex systems.
- Data Management and Engineering: Operationalizing ML and advanced analytics at scale in a range of deployment environments from cloud to edge.
- Software Engineering: Designing and delivering well-architected and efficient software-centric systems.
- Human-Centered Computing: Coupling human and machine intelligence through research and development in visualization, human-computer interaction, and interpretability and usability of advanced analytics.
How We Work
We are intensely collaborative: Key decisions are made by incorporating perspectives of diverse stakeholders. We build relationships inside the Laboratory founded on mutual respect.
We lead with integrity: Our missions focus on some of the most critical issues facing the nation and bring significant safety and security expectations.
We lead through influence: While Division Directors have specific responsibilities and accountabilities, they also must influence positive change inside the Laboratory and with external stakeholders beyond their immediate areas of responsibility.
We are mission-driven: We start with why – connecting our discovery science to applied R&D that meets real-world requirements.
Develop, implement, and communicate effective strategies and implementation plans to advance AI science and technology for national security missions. Anticipate and develop emerging R&D areas to address future needs of our core mission sponsors.
Develop and maintain internationally distinctive research capabilities inside the Division.
Align Division capabilities and roadmaps with priorities of other organizations across NSD and PNNL to accomplish shared institutional goals.
Develop trusted partnerships across PNNL to develop new capabilities.
Partner closely with business development managers and project managers to support definition and capture of new opportunities and alignment between project scope and capability directions.
- Develop and manage a strong Division leadership team; coach and develop future leaders. Attract senior technical leaders to the Division.
- Create an inspiring organizational culture and a work environment that maximizes engagement, wellbeing, and innovation.
- Develop and implement talent development plans including hiring strategies and staff professional growth.
- Develop practices to best align staff resources with strategic and programmatic needs.
- Maximize diversity and inclusion in R&D program execution and Division operations.
- Manage and enhance the facilities and assets required to deliver on Division and organizational strategies; ensure mission readiness of Division capabilities.
- Develop and manage Division overhead budgets to align with strategic priorities.
- Lead with integrity; create an environment of operational discipline around security and safety.
- Embrace and nurture a culture of inclusion, transparency, and accountability.
- Develop approaches for enhancing external reputation and visibility of Division capabilities through publication strategies and other outreach to technical and sponsor communities.
- Develop strong relationships with leaders at peer laboratories, universities, and industry to create the collaboration networks necessary to deliver on strategic priorities.
- Actively engage with senior leaders in our sponsor organizations, in partnership with Program Development managers, to shape strategic thinking about future investments.
- BS/BA and 15 years work experience -OR-
- MS/MA or higher and 13 years of experience
- Advanced degree in a computing or engineering discipline, mathematics or statistics, or a related field.
- Proven experience with management of large-scale advanced computing projects or organizations and leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to effectively engage with funding sponsors such as the Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Agency, Department of Defense, or Department of Homeland Security; demonstrated ability to initiate substantial new R&D efforts and collaborations.
- Experience in effective management and administrative oversight, creativity in decision making and problem solving, and a dedication to mentoring and career development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact at the highest levels of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Active security clearance
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance with 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
- Drug Testing: All Security Clearance positions are Testing Designated Positions, which means that the candidate selected is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 months can be demonstrated.
Testing Designated Position
This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP). The candidate selected for this position will be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing for illegal drugs, including marijuana, consistent with the Controlled Substances Act and the PNNL Workplace Substance Abuse Program.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3-hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
Commitment to Excellence, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Equal Employment Opportunity
Our laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment dedicated to solving critical challenges in fundamental sciences, national security, and energy resiliency. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In support of this commitment, we encourage people of all racial/ethnic identities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), protected veteran status, and any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures and in employment. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at email@example.com.
Drug Free Workplace
PNNL is committed to a drug-free workplace supported by Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs.
If you are offered employment at PNNL, you must pass a drug test prior to commencing employment. PNNL complies with federal law regarding illegal drug use. Under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal drug. If you test positive for any illegal controlled substance, including marijuana, your offer of employment will be withdrawn.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries, you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.
Employees and their families are offered medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, basic life insurance, disability insurance, employee assistance program, business travel insurance, tuition assistance, supplemental parental bonding leave, surrogacy and adoption assistance, and fertility support. Employees are automatically enrolled in our company funded pension plan and may enroll in our 401k savings plan. Employees may accrue up to 120 vacation hours per year and may receive ten paid holidays per year.
- Research Associates excluded.
*Once eligibility requirements are met.
Click Here For Rockstar Rewards