Consistently named one of the top D.C. start-ups to watch since 2016, Quorum builds software that helps public affairs professionals work smarter and move faster. Our philosophy is people-first, whether we're supporting team members in their careers or prioritizing our clients with a best-in-class customer success program. Quorum's clients use our tools to bring a modern approach to advocacy work… in Congress, all 50 state legislatures, major U.S. cities, the European Union, and more than a dozen countries.
The Software Engineering team develops high quality datasets, operates data pipelines, develops data models, and builds services and APIs to support server-side application logic, monitor for and improve performance and integrate with the front-end. The engineer will collaborate with the rest of the engineering and product teams to design and launch new product features.
As a Software Engineer, you will report to an Engineering Manager and work on backend systems using tools/technologies like Ruby, React, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, ClickHouse, AWS, and much more.
What You'll Do
- First Week: You'll ship new code to production
- First Month: You'll write code at different components of the system
- First Six Months: You'll take ownership of an entire set of features and make decisions that impact many clients
- First Year: You'll help guide our team as we make broad technical decisions impacting our stack, our products, and the growth of the entire company
- You care deeply about the code you write and either have significant technical skills solving real-world problems or the drive to quickly develop them
- You're a highly-motivated self-starter who wants to make valuable contributions to a team from day 1
- You're an engaged learner—you want to expand your skills, get your hands dirty, and find solutions to challenging problems that require tradeoffs
- You want to work in a fun environment where you can form real friendships with other professionals and where you have a strong sense of belonging at a growing startup
- You're excited to pitch in where ever needed, from helping in recruiting to supporting customers
- You are looking to join a dynamic team immediately
What would we like to see in You
- 2 years of work experience at a company that produces software for end users as it primary function
- Professional experience writing application code in Ruby
- Experience with queueing systems like Kafka and RabbitMQ, including an understanding of basic principles and tasks like connecting/publishing messages and consuming/routing messages
- Experience deploying in Kubernetes, including connecting to pods, interpreting logs, scaling, and building simple deployment configs
- Experience with monitoring systems like DataDog, including working with traces and alerting
- Basic knowledge of relational databases, including building and parsing SQL queries as well as system tuning for performance
- You not only the care about the quality of code you write but also has a strong desire to build skills of those around through code review and mentorship
- You are interested in exploring new technologies and finding the best fit for any given project
About the Software Development Team
- We’re a fast-growing team that is dedicated to improving our people, processes, and platform. The multi-cultural team is composed of a DevOps team, the software engineering team, the Product Management team, the Product Design team, and an Information Security team.
- We support many different products but internally think of them as one system with a single unified codebase. Our goal is to build centralized systems that handle complex problems for multiple features and products.
- We’re focused on doing the important things the right way - we write solid documentation, test our code well, design for scale, and follow defined software development processes.
- We follow best-in-class security practices to safeguard our data and application against bad actors. We regularly test and update processes and technology to fight complacency, because we know good security is a continuous effort.
- We curate high-quality datasets that are essential for effective mapping and tracking of the government and public affairs spaces. Our datasets underpin our promise to give users the information necessary to make smart decisions that influence policy.
- We set rigorous quality standards and monitor them with a mix of programmatic and manual verifications to ensure users maintain a high degree of trust in our systems.
- We’re very close as a team and invest not only in each others’ skills and careers but also in building real relationships with one another: product development is a team sport and we believe that it’s better (and more fun) to work on a team of people that you know well and care about.
If you'd like to learn what it's like to have a real impact at a fast-growing company that is changing the way the advocacy process works, drop us a line. We'd love to talk to you!
- Standard Brazil Holidays
- Monthly Work from Home Stipend
- Mental and Dental Care by SulAmérica
- Monthly Professional Development/Mental Health stipend
- Subscription to Alura learning platform
- Alelo Food Voucher
- Incompany English classes with a native speaker teacher
- Free Subscription to the Calm app
- Invest in Yourself Days - one Friday per quarter is dedicated to your professional development!
- Bi-annual Hackathons
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Virtual and in-person team events
- Bright sunlit open office concept with your dedicated desk (if you want it)
- Inclusion & Diversity Affinity Groups to support belonging
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- CLT Working Contract.
Job Type: Full-time