Join the Clean Energy Revolution…
Become an Engineering Manager, Regional Transmission Planning at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll As an engineering manager in this position, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions, create cleaner air, provide safe and reliable energy for communities we serve. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
The successful candidate will manage a staff of 5 performing complex engineering analyses in support of SCE’s Bulk Power System’s long-term planning needs while meeting NERC Planning Standards with a focus on inter-utility reliability, transfer capability assessments and projects on SCE interties with neighboring utilities. In addition to technical skills, the successful candidate will also provide supervision and management with strategic perspectives relating to SCE’s transmission business.
Also, this role requires being directly engaged in supporting the Strategy & Project Development team on multiple fronts, including performing studies and analyses for Reliability Projects and Scenario Strategy development, and engaging with external stakeholders including neighboring utilities, regulators, ISOs, and industry forums at the national level (e.g., FERC, NERC, IEEE, NATF), regional level (e.g., WECC) and state level (e.g., CAISO, CPUC, CEC).
You will provide effective, creative leadership, mentoring and guidance to your team enabling them to accomplish functional responsibilities and achieve their career goals, while supporting our mission to support SCE’s safe, reliable, and clean energy goals. In addition, you will identify opportunities for improvements and modernization of system planning processes, methodologies, and tool development.
As an Engineering Manager, Regional Transmission Planning , your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Manage complex technical assessments on the performance of the Western Interconnection Bulk Electric System (BES) and evaluating results to gauge and achieve compliance with applicable reliability standards, criteria, business practices, and guidelines.
- Engage frequently with counterparts of neighboring transmission owners and operators on projects, reliability and WECC path rating studies, and technical, contractual, and commercial issues.
- Develop management briefings / presentations on complex technical and business issues and recommending a course of action.
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards.
- Supporting a multitude of FERC, NERC, WECC, CPUC, CEC, and CAISO initiatives and/or standards/criteria development efforts and assess impacts to SCE’s transmission strategy.
- Lead stakeholder initiatives with external entities to gain consensus and achieve resolution to complex high impact/ high visibility issues for the company.
- Manage and provide direction to staff and peers on assignments in specialized or unique areas where engineering or analytical precedents are incomplete or lacking
- Provide leadership, coaching, and training requirements and knowledge transfer for staff continuity and development.
- Write letters, memos, and reports, and prepare and make formal presentations.
- Five or more years of experience performing as an Engineer and/or supervisor related to Electric Utility Distribution and/or Electric Utility Transmission
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline Professional Engineer (PE) License
- Ten or more years of electric distribution and/or transmission system planning principles, tasks, and analyses
- Experience performing electric system load flow analyses and design for utility distribution, sub-transmission, transmission, and generation interconnection systems
- Experience with writing technical papers and supporting documents for regulatory filings
- Experience developing and delivering technical presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Software development experience with any object-oriented programming language.
- Software system implementation experience
- Experience with any of the following power system transmission or distribution analysis tools such as PowerWorld, PSLF, EMS, CYME, CAPE, and SAS or other similar software
- PSCAD or similar EMTP experience
- Ability to integrate work across relevant areas, manage risks appropriately, develop and execute business plans, manage information, and provide extraordinary service to internal clients and external customers.
- Provide excellent resource and project planning, decision-making, results delivery, team building, and the ability to stay current with technology and innovation.
- Strong ethics, influence and negotiation, leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, and you effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning
You should know
- This position’s work mode is hybrid . The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Visit our Candidate Resource page (https://www.edisoncareers.com/page/show/Candidate-Resources) to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, hiring process, and more!
�� Position will require up to 60% traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833) 343-0727.