Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented… opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About The Team
The Service Frameworks team is responsible for empowering teams to build highly reliable and performant services, backing our payment systems, fraud detection, and a multitude of other products. As an infrastructure engineer, you will build and expand the service frameworks to make complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable. We build powerful interfaces for engineers that depend on these systems—deployment, load balancers, web framework, databases, Kafka and Kubernetes—while keeping them highly available and performant. We’re looking for engineering leaders who can drive the technical vision of Stripe’s service infrastructure platform for thousands of engineers to use and build on top of, and thrive in a highly autonomous environment with many moving pieces.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager within this organization, you will lead a team of engineers, collaborate with infrastructure and product engineering orgs, and advance service oriented architecture (SOA) adoption at Stripe.
- Lead and manage a team of talented engineers on the team, providing mentorship, guidance, and support to ensure their success
- Understand user needs and pain points to prioritize engineering work and deliver high quality solutions that meet user needs
- Drive the execution of projects, overseeing the entire development lifecycle from planning to delivery, while maintaining high standards of quality and timely completion
- Work with high-visibility teams and their stakeholders to support the Infrastructure’s key engineering initiatives
- Provide hands-on technical leadership (architecture/design, vision/direction/requirements setting, and incident response processes) for your reports
- Work with leaders across the company to create and drive toward the longer term vision of Stripe’s services roadmap
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment, promoting innovation, knowledge sharing, and continuous improvement within the team
- Partners with our recruiting team to attract and hire top talent, and define the overall hiring strategies for your team
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 3+ years of experience as an Engineering manager
- Technical enough to drive clarity with staff engineers about architecture and technical strategic decisions
- Experience managing teams that shipped and operated critical distributed system infrastructure
- Experience managing engineering teams working on API design, abstractions, frameworks, or client libraries (e.g. building internal or external developer products)
- Works effectively cross-functionally and is able to think rigorously, communicate effectively, and make or coordinate hard decisions and tradeoffs
- Encourages a healthy work environment that’s both challenging and supportive
- 5+ years of management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for different audiences (leadership, users, company-wide).
- Experience with a variety of common infrastructure platforms (databases, logging, event streams, metrics, caching, etc).
- Experience leading partially remote teams.
- Experience developing sustainable, in-house framework and abstraction ecosystems in large engineering orgs.
- Experience with rich codegen platforms.
- Experience managing rigorous incident response processes and on call rotations