Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no… commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us.
MITRE's Artificial Intelligence and Autonomy Innovation Center is home to an interdisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team united by a passion to catalyze consequential use of Artificial Intelligence (AI). We are 200 strong and growing! We collaboratively work across government, industry, and academia to address complex AI and Autonomy challenges for the benefit of our nation. We apply our trusted technical expertise to enable the effective, assured, and responsible application of AI to critical government missions. MITRE aims to realize the transformative potential of AI for public good.
Our AI-enhanced Discovery and Decisions department has a need for a Lead Artificial Intelligence and Decision Engineer with a passion for AI and expertise in applying AI to augment and improve human decision making. We are specifically looking for talent in machine learning (including deep learning), and one or more of the following technical areas: decision science, human machine teaming, large language models, cognitive science, AI testing and evaluation, multi-agent systems, knowledge-based reasoning, automated planning, semantics, and ontologies.
As a Lead Artificial Intelligence and Decision Engineer, you will have opportunities to work on a wide range of problems, leading and working in interdisciplinary teams. Your experience will allow you to:
- Design, develop, evaluate, and field AI solutions that inform consequential, mission-critical decisions.
- Assess the adequacy and maturity of existing AI-focused R&D programs and shape their technical and programmatic direction.
- Identify and lead new R&D opportunities to strengthen the nation's growing artificial intelligence capabilities.
- Work on and lead cross-functional teams to develop and implement Al that can help solve wicked problems.
- Apply modern engineering techniques to develop decision support software prototypes.
- Propose and execute novel, cutting-edge research in Al-enhanced decision systems.
- Evaluate Al solutions against sponsor requirements and produce actionable recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering discipline related to artificial intelligence.
- 8+ years impactful experience in Al-relevant fields, such as machine learning, deep learning, multi-agent systems, planning, and large language models.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate challenges in high-stakes decision making with AI and identify gaps.
- A keen interest in learning about and rapidly responding to new problems across a variety of domains.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to articulate challenging technical concepts to both lay and expert audiences.
- Ability to work independently to learn new technologies, techniques, processes, languages, platforms, and systems.
- Ability to function as a leader of cross-functional teams.
- Experience with programming languages such as C++ and Python.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US government clearance (e.g., DoD Secret).
Preferred Qualifications :
- Advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline related to artificial intelligence.
- Track record of successful deployment of AI-enhanced decision systems that have been used by key decision makers.
- Experience with testing and evaluation of AI systems, explainable AI, or AI fairness and bias assessment.
- Active DoD Secret clearance or higher.
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s):
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s):
Work Location Type
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster (~~~) and Pay Transparency (~~~) .
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE's employment process, please email ~~~ .
Copyright © 1997-2023, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here