What is Underdog?
Founded by a team of industry veterans, Underdog was born with the idea that bringing strategic innovation to sports gaming and entertainment is the key to success in an exceptionally competitive market. Underdog has quickly established itself as a leader in the space, and is committed to building the best sports gaming platform in the industry -- and supporting the most… passionate community of sports fans while doing it!
At Underdog, we’re not only about creating these awesome products, but also about growing our culture of passion, ownership, and fun! We believe that great companies are made out of great people. Our continual aim is to create an inclusive environment for everyone, at all levels, to achieve their highest potential at work.
We are seeking intellectually curious, innovative, and highly motivated individuals to join our Data Science Marketing Analytics team as foundational members. As a Data Scientist at Underdog, You will play a crucial role in driving our financial capabilities, fueling the development of next-generation AI-powered gaming platforms that will revolutionize the sports gaming industry. Join a dynamic team dedicated to tackling cutting-edge data science challenges in the realm of finance analytics.
In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing and interpreting complex customer activities or financial data to drive business decisions and improve financial performance. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in data mining, analytics and statistics, as well as experience in financial analysis and reporting.
You will develop analytical frameworks, observational analyses, models, features or metrics that leverage the massive scale of Underdog’s user base to understand revenue impact from user behavior, address business challenges such as forecasting financial trends, customer segmentation. You will work closely with the machine learning team to develop advanced analytics solutions that drive business value.
Please note, Underdog is a US based company and no sponsorship is available for this position at this time.
What you’ll do:
- Analyze business performance and trends, providing actionable insights and root cause analysis to allow for rapid response in business decisions
- Develop and implement advanced analytical models to drive revenue and assist in informed decision making
- Develop and maintain performance metrics, KPIs, and experimental analysis to support reporting needs for stakeholders and executive leadership
- Design and execute experiments/AB tests, analyze/interpret results to impact product performance
- Implement analytical solutions to support key finance functions such as budgeting, forecasting, and planning
- Develop and implement data visualizations and interactive dashboards to facilitate communication and insights generation to stakeholders
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify data needs and develop data-driven solutions
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments in analytics, data science and finance
Who you are:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Finance or related academic/work experience
- 3+ years of experience in analytics, with experience analyzing large datasets and developing analytical solutions
- Strong experience with large-scale datasets using SQL and programming languages such as Python or R
- Proven experience developing and implementing data visualizations and dashboards to communicate insights to stakeholders (Tableau/Looker etc.)
- Experience with cloud-based data platforms and data warehousing solutions (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, Azure, GCP)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- Ability to work autonomously and lead initiatives across multiple product areas
- Effective communication and presentation skills, with the ability to translate complex analyses to non-technical stakeholders
- Familiarity with data warehousing, data pipelines, and data governance best practices
Even better if you have…
- MS, PhD in Statistics or related field with research in machine learning
- Experience in finance data analytics
- Experience in financial analysis and reporting
- Familiarity with financial statements and accounting principles
- Knowledge of financial planning and analysis (FP&A) best practices
Underdog Sports is firmly committed to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Our unique culture was built on the foundation of a safe and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We highly value the mental, physical, and emotional health of our employees, and are continuously asking ourselves: what can we do better? Underdog is an equal opportunity employer and doesn't discriminate on the basis of creed, race, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability status or any other defining characteristic. Our targeted compensation rate for this position is between $140,000 and $190,000, depending on experience, plus equity. Think your skills are exceptional and warrant higher pay? Apply anyway! If we agree, we're willing to negotiate. Below you’ll find a few of our perks:
- Unlimited PTO (we're extremely flexible with the exception of the first few weeks before & into the NFL season)
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Company paid Health, Dental, Vision plan option for employees and dependents
- 401k Match & FSA
- Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid Scheduling – we are 100% VIRTUAL FIRST!
- A $500 home office allowance
- $100 in UD credit
- Support for learning and development
- Book club – expense your books!
- Monthly raffle to win a sports ticket reimbursement of up to $500 (including game day snacks!)
- Lastly, an extremely transparent, fun, and engaging culture where you will grow both personally and professionally!