At UL, we know why we come to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist at UL Standards & Engagement, based in our Northbrook, IL office…
At UL Standards & Engagement (UL) , we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
- This position qualifies for ULS, Inc.’s employee referral policy program.*
What you’ll learn & achieve:
As a Data Scientist, you will play a key role in the rapid growth of UL as you:
- Use advanced mathematical and statistical concepts and theories to collect and analyze data and construct solutions to complex business problems.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on experimental or business data to identify, validate and quantify trends or patterns based on guidance from business or research leaders.
- Construct advanced predictive models, algorithms and probability engines to support data analysis or product functions.
- Verify model and algorithm effectiveness based on real-world results.
- Design experiments and methodologies to generate and collect data for business use.
- Identify sources of credible safety data and maintain safety data catalog in order to provide key data sources to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Cleanse, structure and transform data to test hypothesis, model complex systems and identify patterns.
- Prepare and analyze program/model output to allow for efficient data analysis.
- Implement algorithms and software to perform analyses.
- Apply supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning techniques to Natural Language Processing problems.
- Apply BERT and derivatives, XLNet, MPNet, GPT2 and NLP to long-form technical writing as well as short incident narratives with jargon and abbreviations.
- Build data pipelines through scraping publicly available data. Build and maintain databases in Elastic, Azure and Mongo. Leverage experience with various BI tools and programming technologies.
What makes you a great fit:
Education and Experience Required and Special Skills Required:
Must have work experience in each of the following:
1) apply supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning techniques to Natural Language Processing problems;
2) application of BERT and derivatives, XLNet, MPNet and GPT2, as well as NLP to long-form technical writing as well as short incident narratives with jargon and abbreviations;
3) build data pipelines through scraping publicly available data and build and maintain databases in Elastic, Azure and Mongo;
4) PowerBI, Kibana, RStudio, and D3; and
5) Azure, Python, ReactJS, Spark, and TensorFlow.
Education and Experience Required
Master’s degree in data science, statistics, mathematics, predictive analytics, or related and three (3) years of experience in data science
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 128 years and is deeply ingrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL Research Institutes and UL Standards & Engagement are eligible for bonus compensation. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
About UL Standards & Engagement:
UL Standards & Engagemet is a nonprofit organizations dedicated to advancing safety science research through the discovery and application of scientific knowledge. We conduct rigorous independent research and analyze safety data, convene experts worldwide to address risks, share knowledge through safety education and public outreach initiatives, and develop standards to guide safe commercialization of evolving technologies. We foster communities of safety, from grassroots initiatives for neighborhoods to summits of world leaders. Our organization employs collaborative and scientific approaches with partners and stakeholders to drive innovation and progress toward improving safety, security, and sustainability, ultimately enhancing societal well-being.
Our wholly owned subsidiary, UL Solutions, advances our shared public safety mission. We fund our work through grants, the licensing of standards documents and the business activities of UL Solutions, which conducts testing, verification and certification, and provides training and advisory services, along with data-driven reporting and decision-making tools for customers around the world.
To learn more, visit our websites UL.org and ULSE.org