Insurance… sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups…
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with office locations in SF and Chicago. This role can be based anywhere in the U.S as long as you can work our Vouch core collaboration hours (8:30 am-2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will play a critical role in driving our applied AI/ML strategy to optimize our commercial lines insurance operations. Your expertise in statistical modeling, predictive analytics, machine learning, and data mining will be essential to identify patterns, extract insights, and develop innovative solutions that enhance our underwriting, pricing, and risk management processes. By leveraging advanced data analysis techniques, you will contribute to maintaining our low loss ratios, improving efficiency of our sales, underwriting, and client servicing operations, and delivering value to our clients, employees, and investors.
- Lead the development and implementation of data-driven solutions that improve our underwriting processes, pricing models, risk assessment, and client experience strategies.
- Analyze large, complex datasets to identify patterns, trends, and potential client risk factors that align with our product offerings or could impact our loss ratios.
- Apply statistical modeling and predictive analytics techniques to create models that enhance the accuracy and efficiency of insurance risk assessments and pricing decisions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including actuaries, underwriters, data and infrastructure engineers, and IT professionals, to drive data-centric initiatives and foster a culture of data-driven, AI-enhanced decision-making.
- Design and implement machine learning algorithms and artificial intelligence techniques to automate and optimize operational processes, such as prospect identification, policy assessment and evaluation, claims management and client insight presentation.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to analysts and data engineers, promoting knowledge sharing and skill development within the team.
- Educate and mentor functional leaders and peers in other departments on the potential applications of ML/AI technologies to their domains.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in data science and insurance analytics to drive continuous improvement and innovation.
- Master's or Ph.D. in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field.
- 6+ years of experience as a Data Scientist, preferably in the insurance industry, with a focus on commercial lines.
- Strong expertise in statistical modeling, predictive analytics, machine learning, and data mining techniques.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, as well as experience with data manipulation and visualization libraries.
- Experience with large-scale data processing frameworks and databases (e.g., Snowflake, SQL, Vector DBs, Knowledge Graphs) is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze complex datasets and derive meaningful insights.
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities, with the capability to present technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Leadership qualities and the ability to guide and mentor junior team members and more senior stakeholders and peers.
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high growth environments
- A background in insurance or other regulated categories
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
The pay range for this role is: $200,000 to $235,000 per year.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits and other perks. We also include stock options in all compensation packages and believe all Vouch employees should have the opportunity to become owners in the company.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, location, and business need. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-Remote