What you'll do…
Walmart, the Fortune #1 Company and the Nation's largest private employer, is helping people save money and live better - and healthier lives. Walmart strives to be a center of wellbeing in the communities we serve, and we have a unique opportunity to provide access to affordable healthcare to millions of people. We need passionate engineers to help us achieve our mission.
Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of user design and a seamless customer experience. We're intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, collaborating with cross-functional teams and providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You'll oversee small project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
About Team: Health Platform Services Team
The health Platform Services Team is primarily an API-based interoperability layer for more modern healthcare interoperability needs. As the area grows, our team definition may as well. Currently, we primarily act as a reusable middleware between Walmart and third-party systems to handle healthcare medical records and any business logic needed to support different healthcare teams, including caching and database needs.
What you'll do:
- Assists in providing guidance to small groups of 5 to 6 engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, directions, examples, and timeline.
- Provides support to the business by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; identifying short and long term solutions; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of associate's domain.
- Manages small to large-sized complex projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; researching and identifying alternative solutions; determining needed solution based on return on investment and value add to the business; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; identifying areas of opportunity; interpreting information and identifying a solution; ensuring solution is sustainable across implementation and use; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; and ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; and completing online documentation.
- Participates in the discovery phase of small to medium-sized projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business, and user experience teams.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or IT, or relevant experience.
- 6 - 10 years of hands-on experience working as a software engineer.
- Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments.
- Extensive understanding of Kubernetes, Helm, microservice architecture and design, and best practices around multithreading, networking and performance tuning
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of Java, Spring Boot, Kafka, Cassandra, Rest API, and Spark.
- Ability to build products with focus on testability, someone who loves test coverage (well versed with Mockito and JUnit)
- Knowledge of micro-service architecture with code build using Maven, Gradle, Jenkins.
- Hands-on experience with telemetry systems, APM alerting and monitoring.
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing, documentation and code structure in a team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things to the next level and a passion for adopting the latest features in Kubernetes, Java, and Spring Boot.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.3 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily virtual, while remaining near the locations Global Tech calls home. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We use our campuses to collaborate and be together in person, as business needs require and for development and networking opportunities.
Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related area.Option 2: 5 years' experience in software engineering or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
221 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN, NJ 07030, United States of America