“Any sufficiently complex technology is indistinguishable from magic.” - Arthur C Clarke
At Imagineering, we are constantly exploring new ways to connect with our guests – to surprise them, make them smile, and open their minds to magic - not just in our parks and resorts, but everywhere around the world…
At Walt Disney Imagineering Research and Development this "magic" emerges from the application of world-class technology and everything from new Guest-facing experiences to new tools for Imagineers and Cast Members who power our parks and bring that magic to life. Our team of engineers, designers, artists and scientists share a passion for solving impossible problems and building ground-breaking experiences.
The Principal R&D Imagineer will lead and evolve generative AI strategy for Walt Disney Imagineering R&D.
As a pioneer for creative applications of generative AI technologies, you will use your unique combination of creative and technical expertise to design and prototype tools and technology that enable Imagineers to build new experiences. You’ll work with cross-disciplinary teams to translate ideas into tangible tools that can be tested and potentially leveraged by Imagineers around the world, allowing us to dive deeper into technical solutions.
The Principal R&D Imagineer – Generative Artificial Intelligence reports to the Executive R&D Imagineer.
- Generate concepts and build prototypes for new AI tools that will enhance Imagineers’ ability to create, design and deliver a variety of projects around the world.
- Stay up to date with new generative AI research, technologies, and applications in academia and industry and share this knowledge with relevant colleagues.
- Understand the unique needs and opportunities of Imagineering and design and implement machine learning algorithms to improve, adapt, and apply generative AI models
- Collaborate with third party studios, universities, organizations, and developers to evaluate, adopt, and integrate the latest generative AI.
- Collaborate with innovation teams across the company to inform and align internal Walt Disney Imagineering R&D efforts with business needs.
You will have:
- 5+ years of experience designing and implementing machine learning algorithms to improve and adapt generative AI models to a variety of creative tasks
- Familiarity with key machine learning libraries such as PyTorch and Tensorflow.
- Ability to write, debug and review C, C++, and Python software.
- Experience applying different machine learning architectures (DNN, GAN, RNN, CNN, LSTM) to a wide variety of problems and data types.
- Experience conditioning generative models through prompt engineering, fine tuning, or other methods.
- Hands on experience with generative AI applications and tools such as GPT3/4, Stable Diffusion, ControlNet, Midjourney, DALL-E, etc.
- A proven history of generating and building novel tools and techniques that leverage generative AI technology (LLMs, diffusion models etc.)
- Broad and deep understanding of opportunities and limitations of the fundamental technologies underpinning generative AI applications
- Experience architecting, training, and using generative AI models
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and implement solutions that overcome limitations of existing models
- Ability to move quickly from an idea to building tools Imagineers can actually play with and use, and work to make them better
- Ambition to push the limits of what AI tools can create and understand the difference between the voice of data and the voice of a designer, writer or artist
- Clear communication and engaging presentation skills, and the ability to positively influence and inspire others.
- A desire to work in a creative environment where technical and creative experts collaborate and challenge each other every day to achieve truly groundbreaking solutions
- 5+ years experience architecting, developing, and shipping AI driven applications or components
- PhD in Computer science or related field, or equivalent experience, with specialization in AI/ML
- 3+ years experience with generative AI technologies
This position is located in Glendale, CA.
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
The hiring range for this position in Glendale, CA is $186,646 to $215,000 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered